Friday, May 26, 2006

Knowing when to Quit

I've just abandoned Norwegian Forest Cat 3, but I really should have done so a couple of days ago.
Early on I realised the wall I had painted was too high in contrast, the cat could not have competed with it and as the cat was the focus of the painting, well, end of story.
So why did I carry on when I knew it wasn't working, I don't know the answer, the only thing I can think of is that I really don't like to be beaten. However I could have saved myself two wasted days if I'd given up earlier, next time I'll go with the gut feeling.

This then, is version 2, same cat but different pose.
I think another thing bothering me about version 1 was that the cat was very static, so in this one there is some movement.
I am using my favourite drafting film and so far it is all worked in coloured pencil. I have added some water to the sky using a water brush. On drafting film you can move ordinary coloured pencil around, and blend as easily as when using water colour pencils.
I apologise for the poor quality of the scan, the light here in West Yorkshire is too poor for a photograph, but I will update later today if the weather improves.





1 comment:

Making A Mark said...

That sky is looking really nice Gayle. I like the transition through to the lighter lemony colour.