Thursday, May 18, 2006

New Norwegian Forest Cat

With Jorja's continuing antics I have not been able to motivate myself to start any new artwork for the last few days.
However, I had to get up at 4.30am this morning to ensure my youngest son got to school by 5.15am to catch the coach for his trip to Belgium. Jorja was convinced I could only be getting up that early because her time had come. So the usual choas ensued with a lot of groaning from eldest son who did not have to emerge at that hour and did not appreciate Clinton moaning and groaning, and Jorja huffing and puffing from opposite ends of the house.
So, having extra time to spare I started my third Norwegian Forest Cat painting.

I wanted to try something different on the drafting film so I started an underpainting in acrylic.
For the rocks I put some Burnt Umber and Paynes Grey down and then dabbed it with crinkled cellophane to give texture. Because I personally find acrylic a little bright, once the paint was dry I covered the rocks with a thin layer of white gesso . I can now work over this layer with coloured pencil to add as much detail as required.
For the moss I used Hookers Green & a touch of Paynes Grey left it to dry. I made the same mix again but this time but added a touch Yellow Ochre and then dabbed it on using a natural sea sponge, once dry I used my gesso again. I then mixed Cadmium Yellow, a tiny touch of Hookers green and alittle gesso and painted in some highlights. Again I will work over this with coloured pencil.





No comments: