Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Painting a Miniature

My friend Katherine recently went to see the annual exhibition of the Royal Society of MiniaturePainters,Sculpters and Gravers. This reminded me that I had some Ivorine put to one side, so I decided it was time to have a go at my own miniature.
Ivorine is a manufactured imitation ivory with a white translucent surface. It is totally smooth and very easy to work on.
I wanted a change from cats so decided to paint a Chipmunk that I photographed in the Mount Ranier National Park whilst on holiday.
I think it's a Least Chipmunk but please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
I decided to use acrylics on the Ivorine and I'm using 4/0 to 10/0 brushes.


If you are interested the only place that I know to purchase Ivorine is from Polymers Plus, they are very helpful and have an excellent mail order service.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Amazing amount of detail, what is the actual size? Beautiful little chipmunk.

Gayle Mason said...

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, the actual size is 2.5 x 3.5 inches.
I loved seeing all the squirrels and chipmunks when we were on holiday.