Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Paper Supports

I finished my wolf, I think I might try a graphite study before I start my large painting.
The main paper supports I use are Arches Hot Press watercolour paper for coloured pencil and Mellotex for graphite.

Arches - this is a lovely smooth paper which takes a lot of layers but is a creamy rather than white colour. The paper is acid and chlorine free and available in 3 finishes, not, hot pressed and rough. I only ever use the hot pressed as I need a smooth finish.

Mellotex - this is a printers paper, very smooth, available in several weights and three different whites. As with Arches it is an archival, acid free paper. I understand it is only available in the UK.
I use the heavier weights in the ultra white as I like to leave the white of the paper for the background in graphite pieces.

I sometimes use coloured paper like Ingres or Mi Tientes, these are not as heavy as they are primarily pastel papers, so will not take as many layers.

No comments: