Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Painting a tiger in acrylic

I haven't been around lately because I've been spending all my time painting. I had this foolish notion that it would be like drawing with a brush and I would just be able to transfer my drawing skills to painting. How wrong I was.
I am on version number 4, having settled on acrylic rather than oil for the time being. With having the dogs, especially Clinton who lies under my drawing table, I was worried about the potential toxic effects of the solvent.

This is the first time I have been happy with my progress, although an earlier version did have furry fur, but it looked muddy.

It is all acrylic, 8 x 10 on Ampersand gessobord, i transferred my line drawing using graphite paper. There is more tiger but nothing to see yet.

5 comments:

Making A Mark said...

Well you're certainly showing the same talent for doing eyes in acrylic!

Anonymous said...

This is looking good, I shall watch with interest.

Debbie Goode said...

Well, I love the "eye" it looks great. I have been painting in acrylics for years. It takes a little time, but it is so worth it. I too needed something not so toxic, easy clean up, and most importantly would dry quickly!

Gayle Mason said...

Thank you all, sorry it has taken me so long to publish your comments.

Kyjo's Cave said...

I'm struggling with trying to translate the realism of the pen to the medium of acrylics. I found the same thing...its different. Trying to do a wolf for a friend and am struggling with the eyes.