Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Ground Squirrel Demonstration - Part 2

I'm including a photo of my drafting table so you can see how I work.I usually have the image showing on my laptop which I place at the top left but I was using it for something else this morning.
At the right you can just see my home made Mahl Stick which I rest my hand on to stop the acid from my hand spoiling my acid free paper. Basically it's a piece of foam wrapped around each end of a piece of garden cane.
I always have my Gray Scale and Value Finder close, even if I'm using colour.
Also at the right is a scrap of Arches paper which I use throughout to test colours, fur patterns etc.

I've drawn my Squirrel on the same paper as the graphite version, Arches Hot Press and I will use my drawing rather than the photograph to check values.
This first image is all coloured pencil, finding values and fur direction and laying down a base.

Here I'm starting adding acrylic to the head but the rest is pure coloured pencil.

On the last one I'm working in both acrylic and coloured pencil, going backwards and forwards until I achieve the depth I want.

Later I'll post a close up of the fur.

1 comment:

Gillian Mowbray said...

Thank you for this, Gayle. I shall watch out to see how this develops. I'm intrigued as to why you use paint with your pencils. A successful combo obviously - is it just to give more depth? A greater saturation of colour?

So many questions ....so little time ...... LOL. x