Thursday, April 08, 2010

New Surface - UART Premium Sanded Pastel Paper

I've been taking a 'computer holiday' for the last few days. Once I finished work last week I felt that I needed a little space before moving forward with my art.
Anyway I'm back now with a new cat, this time on UART Premium sanded pastel paper. The one I'm using is the 800 grade which is the finest.
I got the paper from the SAA, it is available in 4 grades, 400, 500, 600 and 800. The 400 is the roughest surface, the 800 the smoothest.
This is the link:-
Society for all Artists art materials shop.
The colour is beige, not as yellow as it appears on my monitor.
It is quite expensive but I'm really enjoying using it, it suits my style better than either Pastelmat or Fisher paper.
The cat is approximately 7 x 5, all coloured pencil, mainly polychromos and I've tried both blending and drawing fine detail. I'm finding that the paper takes several layers and it's still possible to draw a fine line on top of the layers.



4 comments:

Karen said...

This support sounds interesting. I have been spending some time this evening looking at various supporst that might suit me and just as I was about to sign off for the night your blog post appeared! I'm currently doing a second piece on pastelmat and still find it quite a difficult surface to work on. Getting fine detail on pastelmat is hard for me.
As always, I love your work!

Gayle Mason said...

Thanks Karen, I have found this surface easier to work on than Pastelmat for the detail.

Unknown said...

Another gorgeous Kitty. coming along great. I will check out the surface on the link. It's always good to try different surfaces, Hope it's available in Au.

Sue Clinker said...

Beautiful cat Gayle.

I have just tried cps on Pastelmat and, like Karen, have struggled to achieve fine detail.

I have some samples of UART which have been sitting on a shelf for 2 years (!!) so perhaps I will dust them off.

For info: I contacted Tommy Esposito (Inside Sales Representative) at UART and he kindly sent me a pack of samples to try. His email address is
TEsposito@uneeda.com

Don't know if they still send samples to the UK but may be worth a try for anyone who isn't sure about sanded papers.