Monday, January 24, 2011

Amur Leopard - Part 2

Carrying on with my leopard.
I have no idea why I haven't finished the ear except that I haven't felt the time was right. This is definitely 'my' way of working certainly not recommended in the books that suggest working the whole piece as one. But, it works for me.
I've adapted to the much rougher surface and am pleased with the effect. It does have a tendency to shine with the softer leads so I find it helps to put a layer of 2 or 4H down first before adding the softer darker tones. Working back over the top with the hard leads then further softens and dulls the effect.
I'm not intending adding any more background than the small shadow because I want all the focus on the leopard.
He will have back legs eventually.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

looking great so far gayle.i can fully relate to your comments regarding working the image as a whole.i too prefer to split them up and try and work an area at a time to completion.as for leaving the ear,sometimes i wish they didnt have them because i find them soooo difficult!!

Maria's Watercolor said...

Your drawing is coming along so nicely, thanks for sharing with us.

Art with Liz said...

This is looking sooo good!

Gayle Mason said...

Thank you.
I'm glad I'm not alone in having a reluctance to draw ears! although I have to say Clive that the ears on your drawings always look perfect to me.